Guernica Editions is seeking a publicist to promote its list across three imprints: Guernica Editions, MiroLand, and Guernica World Editions.
Reporting to the associate publisher, the publicist is responsible for publicizing and promoting Guernica’s titles across Canada and the US. The publicist will be creating and executing publicity plans with the aim of securing national and regional coverage in print, broadcast, and online outlets. The publicist will manage Guernica’s social media presence with the aim of promoting its titles and building its brand. Work is remote and flexible with occasional work outside of regular business hours and on weekends and occasional in-person meetings and events.
Once a week: meeting with associate publisher (virtual)
Once a month: team meeting (virtual)
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Responsible for implementing original and compelling publicity plans for Guernica’s titles each season through media campaigns and author events.
- Create and edit press releases, media alerts and press kit materials.
- Discern which titles are lead titles and which don’t require much in the way of publicity and balance time and resources accordingly.
- Reach out to media and publications to draw awareness of our authors and new releases and work directly with media, reviewers and bloggers to promote Guernica’s titles.
- Cultivate relationships with journalists in order to place stories with them; learn about the inner workings of the media and journalists’ interests.
- Build and maintain relationships with various media outlets (print newspapers and magazines, TV and radio, literary journals, digital review sites and blogs)
- Work closely with authors to maximize publicity and marketing success.
- Pitch titles to literary festivals, building rapport with festival organizers.
- Manage social media presence and create regular engaging social media content with the aim of publicizing Guernica’s titles and building our brand. Delegate tasks to a social media intern as necessary.
- Orchestrate author events, local appearances and pre-publication buzz; organize author
tours for select lead titles.
- Regularly communicate with associate publisher as part of cohesive publicity effort for
- Attend and host Guernica’s in-person launches and select events as necessary.
- 20 hours a week
- $18 an hour to start with raise after first 6 months.
- Possibility to freelance or to work on salary.
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Full details on Guernica Edition's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/guernicaed/
Apply by January 13, 2023.